shopify traffic stats
Quantcast

Coquille police chief retires…

image_pdfimage_print

…finally! It is no secret that I do not hold Chief Reaves, his policies, his public manner or his contempt for fellow citizens in high regard. That said, it is too early to celebrate until we see what city manager O’Connor finds for a replacement. Since O’Connor has repeatedly defended the chief rather than give serious consideration to the complaints filed by tax paying citizens, there is a strong chance that we are in for more of the same.

Reaves evidently plans to stay in the area and barbecue ribs AND, evidently, has joined the recently formed Coquille Valley Crime Stoppers along with another retired lawman, Mike Cook. Presumably, CVCS has as its top priority solving the murder of Leah Freeman. After eight years, Reaves joins an organization to solve a murder he would not work and steadfastly refused to turn over to an agency that might work it. Of course, he had the blessings and cooperation of the district attorney to hold the case but why? Why not give this case to a fresh agency?

Print Friendly

About magix

When my oldest son, a Marine, left for war and crossed the border from Kuwait into Iraq in March 2003 I started writing my conscience. After two tours that young combat veteran’s mother is now an ardent peace activist and advocate for social, environmental and economic justice. MGx has matured since those early vents and ramblings and now covers relevant and important local and regional matters in addition to national and global affairs.

Connect

Follow on Twitter View all Posts

84 Responses to "Coquille police chief retires…"

1. magix  May 18, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Yup, got it

2. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 8:18 PM

I did! YOU!

3. magix  May 18, 2008 at 8:13 PM

Cory, check your email

4. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 8:09 PM

I believe the D.A.

5. themguys  May 18, 2008 at 7:42 PM

I’m confused, who’s sitting on this case and who is responsible for not releasing the information?

6. themguys  May 18, 2008 at 7:41 PM

In regards to Leahs case, I just read the legal documents, how the hell could a DA sit back and let failed polygraphs , freshly stripped and painted trunks of potential perps , her shoes with evidence slide? How could it be that the DA and ChiefMan couldn’t pin this on these punks?

I do not understand how this could have happened?

7. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Nah,I think you would possibly win that 5 bucks themguys.Thanks anyways

8. themguys  May 18, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Wanna bet Sanborn got the order from ChiefMan not to post here?

Bet five bucks on it.

9. magix  May 18, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Actually, 90% of the animosity directed toward the chief and the city are precisely because they don’t answer to people or even simply answer people. They, Reaves and O’Connor behave as if they have their own little fiefdom and we serfs are just an annoyance.

Sanborn is the first officer to exhibit, in my opinion, any true professionalism. Let us hope that he can hold on to it and still work for CPD which is sorely lacking in professionalism and communication skills. If he can he is a great asset.

10. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Glad to hear the Chief answers to somebody – sure don’t answer me.

11. magix  May 18, 2008 at 5:09 PM

O’Connor is city manager. Chief answers to him. Not sure about the last two questions but they share a lot of donuts together.

12. wittyspoon  May 18, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Is o’connor the head honcho for the coq. police? what is his title exactly?How long has he been in charge? how long has he known the chief?

13. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 5:02 PM

I hope to talk to all later!!! I have to start dinner soon.After dinner I will show my oldest son some important video’s on this site!! Look’s like skatebording need’s more than just knee pad’s and a helmet to be safe.

14. magix  May 18, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Hmmm! Now I am much to demure and lady like to be able even guess at what you are talking about…. unless it is similar to content cows give better….

15. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 4:46 PM

That name fits everyone of them just perfect too!!

16. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 4:44 PM

MY stomache hurts from laughing!!!!! OMG!!!

17. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 4:41 PM

I’m laughing so hard right now!!!!!!!

18. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 4:40 PM

HAHAHAHA.couldn’t forget that one

19. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Can’t say it out loud but OYE – remember what CVCS stands for?!?!?!?! SSSSHHHHHH!!!!!!!

20. themguys  May 18, 2008 at 4:34 PM

I wanna magic decoder ring !
    I wanna magic decoder ring !
    I wanna magic decoder ring!
    I wanna magic decoder ring!
    I wanna magic decoder ring!
    I wanna magic decoder ring!

WAAAAAA, I wanna play with the big people too !

21. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Yep.just goes to show ya.people in the government are sneeky and slimy.all of ’em

22. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Really? Well they’re doin’ it!

23. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Ya know my aunt who is a dogooder,she speekes and teaches for congress.She told me that cvcs secret little forum was bullshit and they are not allowed to do that to Cory!! That is why I couldn’t hold my thought’s on Leah’s site last week.I asked for a link for the law that say’s they can.didn’t get one though

24. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Yeah they’re probably flooded with tips! Ha!

25. themguys  May 18, 2008 at 4:17 PM

boy oh boy, the tips must be coming in hot and heavy today, all the members are out, I posted this on The World:

boy oh boy, the CVCS are busy little beavers.

They all put their “Secret Decoder Rings” on and are communicating in their hidden little place.

My brother and I used to do that too. We outgrew it years ago.

26. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Um I’m not sure who is in charge. Possibly Pat Smith.

27. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Hall was the first investigator on Leah’s case. Him and a rookie – Shelly Grant who had absolutely no experience in murder investigations. I always thought that was interesting!

28. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 4:09 PM

That is correct Cory wife betters are what there called!! I dont give a shit if you told him it was a man’s or woman’s they look the same,so anyone with half a brain would have grabed it!! it is obvious between the 2 of them they didnt even have half.

29. themguys  May 18, 2008 at 4:08 PM

My bad, I’m sorry.

Who IS in charge of this case?

Anyone?

30. themguys  May 18, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Didn’t I hear someone say that Dave Hall was just put in charge of the case? Eight frickin years later?

Am I right on that?

If I am, and this is indicative of his investigative “skills”, we can expect more of the same, huh?

31. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Well, Hall isn’t even here anymore…….

32. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Apparently the shirt was on the balcony of the deck outside the home. Why did they leave it there? Cause they said it was a mans shirt and they said they were looking for a womans shirt. OK what I said exactly was a ” wife beater” which is what the kids called sleeveless t-shirts back then.

33. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 4:04 PM

It is all on Leah’s site under documents!!

34. themguys  May 18, 2008 at 4:03 PM

So, aren’t Andy and Barney brand new members of the CVCS?

Incest I tell ya !!!!

35. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Um…D A V E H A L L & C H I E F R E A V E S were the ones who saw the shirt and left it there. Is that clear?

36. themguys  May 18, 2008 at 4:01 PM

The ChiefMan AND Dave Hall?

My Mama said, “stupid is as stupid does”.

Okay ChiefMan and Dave Hall, why?

And where was this shirt?

37. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 4:00 PM

It’s called-I got my badge off a day course on the net!!!!!

38. themguys  May 18, 2008 at 3:59 PM

cory, that wasn’t clear, which officer saw her shirt and left it there?

39. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 3:59 PM

The Chief and Dave Hall left the shirt from what the legal documents say. Why didn’t they seize it? They said it was a man’s shirt…….which is what I explained she was wearing…..Bizarre huh?

40. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 3:58 PM

our beautiful chief wasnt it? and another cop with him

41. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Exactly!

42. themguys  May 18, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Cory, who exactly left the shirt there?

Can you tell us?

Was there an explanation from them as to why they didn’t seize it as evidence?

What the hell?

43. themguys  May 18, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Well, maybe we should just walk right in and ask the DA to open it?

Then make him telll us why he won’t.

Then we can laugh in his face when he tells us they don’t want to “muddy the water’, or how bout this one? We don’t want to compromise the case, hah, that’s a joke.

Compromising this case might solve it. Right?

Hum…………..

44. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 3:54 PM

How about this one……..When I went down to report her missing, I described what she was wearing right? Well, they went to a residence where they heard a party was the night before, saw a shirt matching the description of the one she was wearing and left it there. They went back that afternoon to find it gone. Duh!

45. themguys  May 18, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Don’t wrestle with pigs
    You both get muddy and the pigs love it.

46. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Correct Cory,Ignored!!! its bull!!!

47. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Aw shit……they seem to think that every time I ask a questtion or say anything I am “muddying the waters”. Like they weren’t muddied from day 1.

48. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Yes. Frazier has had it from the beginning. Open it up? I beleive it is open – just being ignored from my point of view.

49. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 3:48 PM

the way I see it he can open this case just choses not to.and WHY is my big question?I want to ask him that one,by law doesnt he have to tell where the case is at in this point in time?

50. magix  May 18, 2008 at 3:47 PM

In fact, Reaves answers to O’Connor. O’Connor is the boss and while Reaves takes the heat for refusing to turn the case over, O’Connor could have ordered him to if he wanted to. Or, O’Connor could pressure the DA to do the same, IF HE WANTED TO.

51. themguys  May 18, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Was the present DA involved in this orginally?

I guess cuz he’s running free and clear he feels no need to answer to the voters, huh?

Humm…… can HE open this case up?

52. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 3:43 PM

You are shiting me?? who is this person?

53. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Well sadly enough—-he was no rooky. In fact I don’t know about now but he was a lead investigator in her case the way I understood it.

54. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 3:35 PM

OMG!!!!with as big as you daughters case is,they send some stupid rooky cop to hold/return your briefcase?? What a dumb ass.I just cant beleive this.Is that how important Leah is to you chief?no wonder you cant solve this case!! can you even wipe your ass???

55. themguys  May 18, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Maybe someone on the “inside” could get some information out to Cory?

56. themguys  May 18, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Jeebus Cory, I am so sorry.

57. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Hey OYE check this out….here is some true professionalism at it’s finest! The other day one of the city police came to my house to return my briefcase……before he came he called my cell phone right? K. Well, the phone rang and of course I didn’t recognize the number but answered. It was a man’s voice that said (brace yourself): Hello is Leah Freeman there? I said What? He repeated himself. I asked if this was some kind of sick joke….there was a pause….I said She is dead….then he finally realized what he had done and told me who he was and that he had made a mistake. I tell you….my heart sunk to my feet!

58. magix  May 18, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Back from a little bike ride… Regarding a new chief we really must pressure the council (which is essentially powerless) and O’Connor to allow public input on the hiring process. Would be nice to hire a police chief that we can get some information from his prior jobs and who has homicide experience.

We do not want to get saddled with another Reaves or anyone that O’Connor thinks is competent. O’Connor does not have a good track record in many areas in my opinion. The city infrastructure is failing, businesses are closing and unemployment is high. He doesn’t know how to write a grant or think out of the box. His solutions are to fine poor people for petty and punitive things rather than help them and thereby the city as well.

This could be an opportunity to hire a decent chief and push for a new city manager as well.

59. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 3:21 PM

I was wondering this myself!!! I hope and pray it is someone with enough heart to give Leah’s case to someone who can give her justice.

60. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Hey I wonder who will be our new Chief? Probably won’t matter…….whoever it is will have strict instructions to ignore Leah Freeman’s case and her family as well..

61. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Thats a good question Cory,where are you dog’s at?? nobody ever wants to respond to her,but they always have questions for her to awnser.whats up with that?she awnsers and you guy’s haven’t the bravery to enlighten her on her posts to you guy’s?? come on.

62. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Where the hell are all these cowards that had such BIG MOUTHS the other day? Come on, throw their crap out there and run like a dog with it’s tail between it’s legs? How cowardly can you get?

63. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 3:05 PM

who is buford??

64. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Oh no Buford would not sit around picking his…nose (or whatever!)

65. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 3:01 PM

They have no clue what they’ve done to my family. And that alone my friend gives me every right in the world to say whatever I say. They don’t like it? Too f***ing bad! And that’s just the way it is. The nerve. I tell you…..it is just beyond words.

66. themguys  May 18, 2008 at 3:00 PM

What I don’t understand is this, everyone in this town KNOWS who did this. Is THAT the reason the ChiefMan won’t open the case up to be solved?

Sure sounds like that to me. NO OTHER reason.

Where the hell is Buford T Pusser when a woman needs him.

Buford wouldn’t sit around pickin ribs.

67. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 2:59 PM

That sounds cold but that is how I feel.I went to Lee vally road the day I went up river and nevermind I want to talk to only you about how I feel on that.so when we see eachother again I’ll tell you.

68. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 2:57 PM

I believe in karma too,but ya know what Cory that isnt good enough for me.I want them to suffer the way you have.I dont want god to punish them first I want them to suffer here and then suffer more on the other side too.

69. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 2:56 PM

I don’t know but they can sit there and tell whoever the hell they want that they followed ALL leads………trust me – NOT SO! How bad can they screw up this case? Could it possibly be more bungled? I think not. It isn’t just me beilieve that…..this whole county is outraged by their “professionalism”. Whatever.

70. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Its ok OYE…….I believe in karma. I know….how many times could I tell them she didn’t run away? Oh but no – did they think they knew my daughter better than I did? Rubbish! And yell at me? OMG I thought my Daddy was gonna loose it! He absolutely hated the way they treated me.

71. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Hell no it would be happening cause they would have tried them already!! There is a case here,what is the chief scared of?? the mafia? bring it on!! I have the most crooked family that lives in california(and that is why I live here)Mafia aint got shit on em

72. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 2:47 PM

I know my dead mommy is screaming!! we talked about Leah a few times before she died and she thinks the law is responsible for Leah’s death!! she said if they would have just looked for that night maybe Cory would still have her.they thought she ran away.away from what? I’m so sad right now.now I’m screaming

73. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Oh man! You got it! In his day this would NOT be happening! Go figure!

74. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 2:43 PM

He may not be alive but he is here and I’m sure he’s not happy with the so called Law enforcement either.

75. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Well, I guess you’re right about that. I mean hell Leah’s case is 8 yrs old now…why bother right? This is the most pathetic group of wanna be law enforcement I have EVER seen. They make me wanna puke………or shove their cake in their faces. Sure wish my Daddy were still alive….boy he’d give it to ’em…..not in their faces though if ya know what I mean!

76. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 2:37 PM

I want to go make my sighn now,it is going to have a pic.of Leah’s beautiful face on it. I am going to stand in front of the DA’s office all day monday and tuesday. the sighn will say:WHY?since there are so many questions for him.the chief just makes me want to puke.

77. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 2:32 PM

yep

78. magix  May 18, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Yup, themguys sent ’em to me. Especially liked the profile of the chief standing near the cake. Maybe they are really trying to do him in by inducing a heart attack.

Given the CPD’s apparent desire to make over 20 officer initiated stops per day, I guess it requires a retired force to have any time to work on a murder.

79. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Oh Open Yr Eyes??? Where are you?? Are you here anywhere???

80. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Hey Mary – did ya see the lovely pics on the cvcs forum? Where they gave the CPD a lovely fatty lard cake? Did you like that? I know I was really impressed!

81. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 2:23 PM

I feel they started this group with the hope that they will feel important to our cozy little county.The only people who support the cvcs is police and their wife’s I feel the PUBLIC wants more than just words with cake being shoveled down thier throts.We the PUBLIC want awnsers for Cory and her family,we the PUBLIC want the freeman case solved.give it up DA, give this case a second chance do the right thing.I know you read this

82. themguys  May 18, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Well, I’d go !!!!!!

Course I understand pig-latin.

Ibsraa ?

83. Cory Courtright  May 18, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Too late for an apology now…..my Daddy once told me that if you have to ask for an apology it isn’t worth it. He isn’t sorry anyways so that would just be one more lie.

84. Open Yr Eyes  May 18, 2008 at 11:38 AM

This is a shame to me for Cory!! cvcs what a joke!!! Does the chief not know that everybody but cvcs and the cpd looks at him like he is an idiot?? Well chief they do. I for one think chief should give Cory an appology not that she wants one from him but she dam well deserves it.she deserves more than he could ever give and what she deserves is Leah to have justice.we know he cant give that one or he would have by now.